Have you been having a hard time staying focused or on task in the last few weeks? As someone who thrives from having a structured routine and who needs to have their calendar in front of them to stay on task, I was definitely thrown off by this new normal. Now over a month later it has become a little easier but everyday poses new challenges! We all are experiencing this so differently and some of us are finding it easier than others. I have 5 dogs and a teenager at home and am suddenly finding myself wearing so many extra hats! Middle School Teacher, Fitness Instructor, Manager, Cook.. etc. Here are some tips I wanted to share that have helped me!
- Keep your regular work hours. Stick to your work schedule and imagine you are still at the workplace. Once you clock in you should be ready to go, showered, coffee in hand and ready for an awesome day! Once its time to clock out walk away from your work station and avoid working over if not necessary.
- Make a list of all the things you need to do that day. Depending on your line of work this might already be scheduled but for others your tasks might have a little more flexibility and adjust tasks. More important or pressing tasks should be tackled at the start of your day when you are more productive and energized.
- Plan the time you’re going to exercise. This was another one of those things that has been more difficult for me. I was used to working out after work and went to the gym then home. Now my home is my gym and I have to walk by the couch to get to my gym. And the couch looks amazing!!! But what has helped me is to have my workouts planned ahead of time. Monday I do Cardio, Tuesday Upper Body, Wednesday Cardio, Thursday Lower body etc… Not only does this keep me more accountable, but I can keep getting good results at home.
- Take short breaks/walks. Taking your breaks is not only beneficial for your physical health and increasing your steps per day, but it’s great for your mental health. Aim to take a short walk around the block or go on your patio and get some sunlight. The sun is great for naturally boosting your mood.
- Be kind to yourself. Remember that we are all going through the same thing and there is nothing wrong with feeling frustrated or down about yourself. Notice your internal chatter. Are you being too hard on yourself perhaps speaking down to yourself. If this arises, imagine that you are talking to someone you really love and care about and mirror those thoughts towards yourself.
- Be your own janitor. This one has been very helpful for me. Organizing and cleaning my office space is a normal part of my day. I am not perfect but try to take some time daily to de-clutter my desk as it can become the dumping grounds at the end of the day. (This can be a whole other article in itself!)